Monday, January 19, 2009

Weekly Weigh In


We had a rough week and honestly did not even get to the gym. Jed lost 4 lbs. and I actually gained. I though I was doing pretty good on my food intake during the week. UGH!

We were thinking we need to have some sort of incentive or prize that the winner will get at the end of the year. Yes, we are doing this over a period of a year's time. We all have a lot to loose. Maybe we can even have quarterly prizes as well. Does anyone have any suggestions on what a great incentive prize could be?

3 comments:

Julia from Dozen Flours said...

As someone that has lost a large amount of weight (60 lbs so far) and is still continuing the battle (last 20 lbs!) that's always hard, especially when it's a guy verses a girl. That's because men just lose weight so much faster. Perhaps you could find another couple that wants to lose weight and compete against them?

Instead of just making it about the numbers on the scale, you could think of it a different way. For example, but perhaps you could try a 5K. Sign up now for one in the Spring and when you complete it, you get a prize like a professional massage and facial at a real day spa.

Signing up for my first 5K was a huge turning point for me. First, I couldn't not do it because I paid to enter and I'm pretty stingy. Plus, I had a friend that was very supportive and wouldn't let me not do it. And lastly, when I finally finished, it was the BEST high I have ever known. I walked around for the next two days telling everyone that I had just done a 5K. I just couldn't believe it.

A year is really long time. I would shoot for shorter term victories. I hope that helps.

Carmen said...

I always say that ice cream is a great incentive...ok just kidding but really, Brett and I are so competitive that we both just pick our goal weight and see who can reach theirs first. Brett totally got a head start on me though because he's been back at the gym 5 days a week since last week even though I won't be able to go until at least 6 weeks post partum...so technically he's cheating. You should pick something you guys really want to do together and set a date for when you want to do it. Then choose how much you feel you could legitimately lose by then and have that be your goal. Maybe that would work?

Hannah said...

I agree with the smaller prizes leading to the big one. It will keep you going. If you do choose to run a 5K or something like that, post it on your blog. There's nothing like publically announcing it to commit you to it. You could have a low-calorie cooking class be a prize. Thanksgiving Point has cooking classes. Or maybe a fun sporting event like a baseball game.