Now you didn't think I would give up chocolate did you? You must be crazy and really don't know me if you think I could possibly do THAT!
I really have been thinking about the way people of other faiths are celebrating Lent during this time of year and what it means to them. Giving up something of value, no matter how small to signify a commitment to being a better person is a huge thing. As I have been thinking about this, I have thought about all the things that I could possibly do. There is a lot. There always is if you take the time to think about it.
What I have been thinking I will do for my own personal "lent" period is to work on being frugal and living a "debt free" life that will bring me more happiness and peace in the long run. We have been "trying" to pay off our debts and get more financially stable ever since we got married. Some days that works better than others. That along with getting our food storage and emergency preparedness together has been weighing on my mind A LOT.
I did completely pay off one credit card last month. WHEW, what a relief! But we still have more to go. We buy things we want without a lot of thought to what better use we could put the money...maybe pay off that 2ND or 3RD credit card??? In an effort to sacrifice and really do the soul searching stuff, I am going to follow the old adage:
"Eat it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without."
This quote has been used in countless talks given by our church leaders. But I
have to say, with the exception of my mission, I have never really lived that way. Even during poor college student days, I would say I didn't sacrifice too much. So, in the next days and weeks I am committing to be more frugal and ask myself : is this a need or a want? Do I really need a new t-shirt or Capri's or shoes or purse or what not? My goal is to take the next 60 days and abstain from buying anything but the essentials. They say it only takes 21 days to form a habit. I think if I can form the habit to think about my purchases, I will be the better person for it. And isn't that what life is all about... Working daily to be a better person than you were the day before?
Do I think this will be easy? No way! I mean, what if I see a super cute pair of shoes that I just have to have? Well, you get the point I am trying to make. Wish me luck on my quest to be more frugal. I need all the help I can get.
1 comment:
Hey, you can totally do it. And I KNOW how much you like to shop. What a great idea. Congratulations on paying off the credit card. I totally understand how great that feels.
Post a Comment