Oh the joys of pregnancy! I am now entering my 12th week. The last couple of weeks have been pretty difficult. I have always suffered from migraine headaches, but with all the pregnancy hormones raging, it makes the headaches worse and more common. Because I can't take the prescription meds I have for migraines during pregnancy, I have been trying to combat them with Tylenol. Well friends, it doesn't work. It's basically like taking a sugar pill. I've been in the ER with the migraines two different times now because the pain and nausea and vomiting had become so excruciatingly painful. Both times the headaches occurred on a weekend, thus no real access to a doctor's office. Luckily our deductible is met for the year, right?
I've also had a major asthma attack which necessitated a midnight run from Tremonton to Kaysville to pick up a refill on my inhaler...Kaysville was the closest place that had a 24 hr Walgreen's, which is where my prescriptions are at. Incidentally, when you use your inhaler a lot it tends to trigger migraines. I did not know this. We believe this is the reason the first migraine was triggered and the trip to the ER was necessary to get me back to a point of sanity.
A small scare last weekend when I started spotting. It was only slightly, but was followed by the second migraine, so I was worried to say the least. The trip to the ER was so that I could get something to stop the vomiting and nausea. By that time, I had been going on about 16 hours of not being able to keep water down. It was time to throw in the towel and get some help. We called my OB the next day to try and get in and get a script for something stronger than Tylenol. They were concerned with all that had been going on and wanted to do an ultrasound to see if everything was OK.
The ultrasound was good news indeed. Baby has a strong heart rate, is measuring right where it should be and was basically doing back flips while we were watching it. We got some great photos and were able to see details such as feet, hands and a great view of baby facing right at us. They found that I have cysts on both ovaries, which explains why it hurts to sit in an upright position for very long. The 45 minute drive into work just about kills me. I have to loosen my pants, loosen the seat belt as much as possible and recline the seat more than is probably safe so that it minimizes the pain.
The morning sickness has become much more intense in the last week or two as well. It mostly hits me in the afternoon, but also in the morning if I don't eat something as soon as I get up. That is a hard one for me as I never have liked to eat first thing in the morning. Everyone keeps telling me it will pass soon. I sure hope so.
Jed keeps telling me I signed up for this. I know this is true, but I was just hoping I would be one of the lucky ones who didn't get sick and pregnancy was a breeze! It's nice to dream, right?
2 comments:
Ugh. The results of pregnancy are blessings, and there are some really cool moments...but pregnancy is really, really rough. Sorry you're having a rough one! Love you!
I've only known one person for whom pregnancy was a breeze and who claimed to feel better pregnant than not. The second trimester is typically better, although I didn't start to feel better until week 14 or so. I am so sorry it has been so rough!!
Post a Comment