This is what I did on Friday...That's right, 4 incisions for one tiny gallbladder. I went in to have my gallbladder removed last Friday after having had an attack the previous week. That was really my only option. The Dr. said once you get gall stones, they will always come back. You just never know when an attack will strike. It could be one week or it could be 5 years. Due to the pain I experienced with the one and only attack I didn't think I wanted a repeat performance. Luckily we have insurance and I can work from home while recovering so we decided it was as good a time as any. The whole procedure called a "Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy" (click here to learn more) is pretty routine now a days. What used to be pretty major surgery is now a same day procedure done through small holes in the abdomen so that they can go in and remove any stones, check everything out to make sure it is all working and then one bigger hole (in the belly button) to remove the gallbladder. Everything is pretty sore and as the days go by my belly is becoming much more black and blue. The photo was taken the first night after surgery. The only real "complication" I had was not being able to urinate right after surgery. The procedure took about 20 minutes, I went to recovery for about an hour and then just had to be able to go to the bathroom before they would release me. I guess the bladder sometimes has a hard time remembering how to work after all that routing around in there. So about four long hours later I was able to go to the bathroom and be released at around 5:00! It had been a long day and I had not eaten since about 11:00 the night before so I was starving. Jed took me home and then went shopping and brought home the fixin's for a steak dinner. Yummy! My mom came up from St. George and got some quality grand baby time and watched Baden for the day. We are so thankful she could do that. All in all I'm healing good and should be back to normal soon.
Tuesday, March 15, 2011
How I Spent My Friday...
This is what I did on Friday...That's right, 4 incisions for one tiny gallbladder. I went in to have my gallbladder removed last Friday after having had an attack the previous week. That was really my only option. The Dr. said once you get gall stones, they will always come back. You just never know when an attack will strike. It could be one week or it could be 5 years. Due to the pain I experienced with the one and only attack I didn't think I wanted a repeat performance. Luckily we have insurance and I can work from home while recovering so we decided it was as good a time as any. The whole procedure called a "Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy" (click here to learn more) is pretty routine now a days. What used to be pretty major surgery is now a same day procedure done through small holes in the abdomen so that they can go in and remove any stones, check everything out to make sure it is all working and then one bigger hole (in the belly button) to remove the gallbladder. Everything is pretty sore and as the days go by my belly is becoming much more black and blue. The photo was taken the first night after surgery. The only real "complication" I had was not being able to urinate right after surgery. The procedure took about 20 minutes, I went to recovery for about an hour and then just had to be able to go to the bathroom before they would release me. I guess the bladder sometimes has a hard time remembering how to work after all that routing around in there. So about four long hours later I was able to go to the bathroom and be released at around 5:00! It had been a long day and I had not eaten since about 11:00 the night before so I was starving. Jed took me home and then went shopping and brought home the fixin's for a steak dinner. Yummy! My mom came up from St. George and got some quality grand baby time and watched Baden for the day. We are so thankful she could do that. All in all I'm healing good and should be back to normal soon.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I'm just waiting for my turn with the gall bladder. My mom and a sister have both had issues. Your account didn't make me any more anxious for it to strike me. Glad you're feeing a bit better.
Post a Comment