Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Back to work

Wow! Six weeks passes by in a flash, especially when you really don't want to return to work.  I am now officially back to work.  Although I'm still working only 2 days in the office and the rest of the week from home.  It works out nice because Jed is able to watch the kids on the days he is off work and I go into the office on those days.  I LOVE that my boss has been so accommodating and allowing our team to work from home.  It is a real rarity for our company, so we are really blessed. 
Ella sleeping peacefully in her cute little dress and sweater.

Caught her sucking her thumb.  Not much love for the bink, but it does sooth her once in a while.

Tummy time.  Trying to capture her rolling over again. 

Not much happening lately.  Baby girl did roll over from her tummy to back (10/0513). ONCE!  I didn't get it on video and she hasn't done it since and nobody saw it but me.  Does that mean it didn't happen?  I'm sure she'll be wowing us with her moves all too soon.

We met up with Grandma and Grandpa (cuppin) Anderson last week and spent a couple of hours at Hee Haw Farms.  We had never been there before and didn't know what to expect.  We ended up having a lot of fun.  Baden especially loved the big white slide. Every time he went down, he had a look of pure terror on his face, but he kept going back for more.  Love that kid!  I ran up the hill to go down with him and he wanted nothing to do with me.  In fact he wouldn't go down the slide with me and ran back down the hill, never to go back up while we were there.  They had pony rides, "train" rides, more slides atop a stack of hay bales you have to climb up to get to the slide.  They have a hay ride where you can go and pick pumpkins.  But we skipped that part as we were getting pretty worn out by then.  All in all a fun family activity!  Worth the $6 entrance fee for the adults...the kids were free because they are so small still. :)

I'm working on some fabulous DIY Halloween costumes.  I'm not sure how they will turn out.  Lets just say that Jed in  red compression pants and shirt might be interesting. 

Speaking of Jed.  At his last doctor appointment he found out his A1C was higher than it had ever been.  Proof positive that our diets have been pretty bad lately.  When I asked him if he was feeling pretty crappy, he said yes, but didn't think about it being related to his diabetes.  Dr. Curtis put him on insulin. Something he really does not like.  So he has gotten very serious about getting his health back in order.  He bought a book called The Blood Sugar Solution.
 
This is basically a cook book that explores what this author calls "diabesity".  Something that is an epidemic in America.  There are a lot more obese  and diabetic people in our country than ever before.  You take a quick quiz to determine if you should be on the basic plan or the advanced plan.  We both qualify for the advanced plan.  In other words, we both scored so high that we need to take drastic measures by taking almost all carbs and sugars out of our diet.  Well at least for six weeks.  Then you can slowly add things back in.  Jed has been doing great on this "diet".  I'm not sure of the total to date, but after the first two weeks he had lost 14 lbs.  I'm not quite ready to make the full commitment.  I eat a lot of the foods with him, but I still cheat and have my sweet snacks as well.  I'm sure there will come a time when I am ready to strictly follow the plan, but just after having a baby and staying at home alone with a two year old and a new born is not the time for me.  I'm still trying to figure out this whole balance thing and I just haven't been able to stop grabbing for the immediate pleasure/stress reliever of food.  One of the best things we have made from the cook book is the VEGAN lasagna.  I was really surprised!  I mean when it has you make "cheese" from nuts, it doesn't sound too promising.  Turns out I was strangely addicted to this stuff and ate more than my fair share.  Unlike most of the recipes, it was kind of labor intensive, but I think well worth the effort.  Anyway, we are slowly getting back into the healthy eating mode.  It is good for us, especially Jed.  He is feeling better already and hopefully he can get his weight down and get off the insulin soon. 
 
Baden has figured out how to take photos with my phone and he wants to do so at all times.  I have a ton of photos Baden has taken.  More than I can count.  I guess it's time to put a new password lock on my phone. Below is some of his work.  He really likes feet.



 


1 comment:

Karen Bangerter said...

Hi Lori hope I figured out how to post. Love your Blog...
Thanks for sharing the Blood Sugar Book... Your a good Mommy
Love ya, Karen