Saturday, September 13, 2008

Back in the Saddle again...


We went down to St. George last weekend to visit my parents and to ride horses with Uncle Paul. The trip was quick but it was nice to get down there. I don't think we've been down there since February or March. The weather was beautiful. We didn't really do too much. On Saturday, Jed made enchiladas with a homemade green chili sauce...excellent! Later that evening we went over to Paul and Pegi's and had hamburgers and then Paul took us riding on some horses that Anelle left for him to sell. We got a later start than planned on and it was dark by them time we got in the saddle. I was assured that the horses can see better in the dark than I can and we would have nothing to worry about. We had the boys with us, so Will rode on the back with Jed and Jens was on the back with me and Paul was in the lead, solo. There are some river bottoms just a couple of blocks from Paul's so we took off for there. Keep in mind, this was only the second time I have ever been on a horse. I was a little nervous, but felt pretty safe. We were riding along pretty steadily and I had jokingly just asked Paul what to do if you fall or need to get off of the horse. He told me I would not have to worry about that...famous last words.
Not even 5 minutes later, we were going over a slight rocky hill and our horse lost it. She went down on all fours. It all happened so fast that everything was a blur, but here is what I remember. The horse went down and then suddenly I saw she was trying to get back up. The first thought that came to my mind was GET OFF, NOW! For all I knew the horse was going to roll back or to the side right on top of us as she tried to get up. I knew that would not be good for us to still be on the horse if she lost control as she got up. I let go of the reins and kind of slid back and pushed Jens with me as quickly as I could. We landed on rocks and prickely weeds and the horse immediately jumped up, quite startled. I knew we needed to get up on our feet and out of the way. I know Jens was scared and hurting, but I grabbed him and pulled him to his feet and pushed him away from the horse so we could be out of harms way. Luckily we escaped with a few scrapes and large bruises, and some very scared boys.
Jens definately did not want to get back on the horse, but I knew if we didn't do it then, he wouldn't do it later. You just need to get over the shock and fear as quick as you can. So we got back up on the horse a little reluctantly for Jens, and continued the ride back home. Jens was hardly breathing the whole way back. Will was also quite scared the rest of the ride, but they were troopers and made it through. All in all it was a fun evening despite our little mishap.

1 comment:

Hannah said...

Anytime you preface something with "keep in mind," I know something's going to happen. I'm very glad the horse did not roll on top of you. Big creatures, those horses are.